Friday, July 28, 2006

Remains of the Day



Manolo Prieto (1912-1991) was an advertising and book cover/poster
graphic artist from Spain. This and this are direct links to the galleries
from where the above works were taken - the framed site is a little
annoying. There are other images available from the parent site,
including some of Prieto's famed bullfighting paintings.

Tho' Johnson - 'The First Pugilist in the World' -
in Thomas Fewtrell's 'Science of Manual Defence'1790
at the Linacre School of Defence
.
There are about 50 pages available but from
(dim) memory this is the only illustration.


'Report of the construction of Edystone Lighthouse' by civil engineer John Smeaton was published in 1813 and is online at Kyoto University Library.
It is a history of the 4 lighthouses built near Plymouth at the western end of
the English Channel in the 17th/18th centuries. There are about 20 excellent
images (well, if you're into lighthouse architectural drawings they are)
with high resolution details available.

This gorgeous chrysanthemum is from the 'Camerarius Florilegium',
produced in about 1589 by at most 2 artists for Joachim Camerarius.
The Harald Fischer Verlag site has about 20 images in large format.
Link direct to images (2 pages). Link to information in english.
Link to the site in german - there is a pdf file in here which
has a bit more background and a couple more small images.



Illustrations © Szymon Kruczek from Poland. He seems to like the moon, fish and...whimsy. Click around; although 'alignment' of the images became
a bit of an issue in firefox. I had to nab the source code and open the images
in an another tab to save them. But there is always the chance it was just me.
There is a link from his site to 'polskie strony artystyczne' -
I have only had a quick look at a few things, but I sense there
is some major Polish artistic timekill in amongst that lot.

I have no recollection where this Portuguese heraldic plate comes from.

'Deutschland, Mißgeburt mit Flügeln und schuppigem linken Bein,
die 1506 in Florenz geboren sein soll, nach 1506, Druck, Nürnberg,
Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Graphische Sammlung, HB 21779'

'Nürnberg 1501-1600 ' [I have a very vague recollection that I've either seen or
previously posted a colour version of this image(?)]


'Schmaritz, Jakob, Flugblatt ..Von dem grossen Wunder und Mirackel
eines Fisches..., 1624, Flugblatt, Nürnberg, Germanisches Nationalmuseum.'
These last 3 images were found in the magic/religion theme in
'Bildindex der Kunst und Architektur des Bildarchivs Foto Marburg'.

9 comments :

brad knapp said...

hye, I just added yor site to my rss feeds in bloglines and for some reason the images don't appear within the feeds, usually it's just a line of code that needs to be tweaked

peacay said...

I get the feed fine in bloglines. Nothing missing. There have been about 4 posts in 6 months where the entries were truncated. The last one was a couple of weeks ago.

I just checked it for the last week - everything loads, no problemo. I've never adjusted the feed parameters.

*shrug* I don't know why you are getting an error.

Mr.Velocipede said...

I realize the flower says something about chrysanthemum on the right side, but it also says "Sonnen-Blum" at the top, and looks an awful lot like a sunflower. I don't think it's a chrysanthemum.

(Beautiful pictures, as always!)

peacay said...

Touché Mr. Velocipede. I should have written 'gorgeous flower'. I thought it was a little odd.

MeganH said...

I don't know if this is any help, but I was able to see/save good sized pictures from the Kruczek site using "View Background Image" through Mozilla.

Thankyou for the wonderful Blog,

Elmsley Rose

peacay said...

Thanks Elmsley Rose. I had never noticed that choice in the context menu (but I have quite a few added bits and pieces in there). It works fine and I'll remember it for the future.

Some of the simple things in life just go: "whoosh!", straight over the noggin.

MeganH said...

Actually it's the first time I've ever retrieved pictures using it. All depends on how the author sets up the web page of course.
Useful for getting the decorative little touches on pages - although often a single tile rather than a complete background.
I then use them to decorate my own Word notes. the full images go to the XP screensaver slideshow - a wonderful feature!
Elmsley R - calligrapher, illuminator, Australia

George Goodall said...

I seem to remember reading about the strange winged fish-man. I think that Loraine Daston used this plate as an example of early science's fascination with freaks and phantasms (didn't Boyle publish something on glowing cow dung?). The reference (I think):

Daston, L. 1998. The language of strange facts in early modern science. In Inscribing science: Scientific texts and the materiality of communication, ed. T. Lenoir. Writing Science Lenoir, Timothy. Gen eds H. U. Gumbrecht, 20-38. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.

peacay said...

Well there was certainly enough of the freaky depictions around. cf. Paré, Gesner etc.

Good recall on your part. Thanks for the ref.

Post a Comment

Comments are all moderated so don't waste your time spamming: they will never show up.

If you include ANY links that aren't pertinent to the blog post or discussion they will be deleted and a rash will break out in your underwear.

Also: please play the ball and not the person.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Creative Commons License