Sunday, June 18, 2006

Evetts Lettering







[click to enlarge]

The above images come from 'Roman Lettering: A Study of the Letters of the Inscription at the Base of the Trojan Column, With an Outline of the History of Lettering in Britain' by the master designer Leonard Evetts; first published in 1938.

I'm not much of a typophile but I thought these were quite interesting, although I'm not so sure about the copyright status. Nevertheless, the whole book is available as a 30Mb .RAR file. I recall that there was no problem downloading the 7-zip program linked near the bottom of this wikipedia page to retrieve the page images.

I have no idea how I got there but I found the 'Roman Lettering' book linked at the Ukrainian Typopgraphy forum. That also led to 3 pages of thumbnail images of knotwork calligraphy as seen in the mashup below [via bullet-13]. Lovely work.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are all moderated so don't waste your time spamming: they will never show up.

If you include ANY links that aren't pertinent to the blog post or discussion they will be deleted and a rash will break out in your underwear.

Also: please play the ball and not the person.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Creative Commons License