This 1880s book - obviously aimed at young people - offers satirical portrayals of various branches and uniforms of the French military and each chromolithograph is accompanied by a page of descriptive text.
Biographical quote from LAMBIEK site: "French illustrator Henri de Sta was born in Versailles as Arsène Henri Saint-Alary. He began his career around 1882 with La Vie Artistique and the publishing house of Léon Vanier. Coming from a family of militaries, garrison life became a regular theme in his career. De Sta worked as a humorous illustrator for Le Chat Noir since 1892. He was also present in Le Paris Bouffon (1885), Le Rire (1897) and Le Charivari (1900). He composed military alphabets, illustrated songs and produced comics for La Chronique Amusante from 1896, and for Les Contes Moraux et Merveilleux of the printing firm Pellerin d'Epinal."
- 'Armée Française : Nouvel Alphabet Militaire' 1883 is available among les Abécédaires de Gallica.
- Henri de Sta Wikipedia (F)
- H de Sta at nouvellesuzette (F)
- Vanier, Léon (bio) (F)
- Nouvel alphabet militaire par Léon Vanier et H. De Sta. Remarquable! (F)
- via Marine Planche (F)
- The above images were modestly background cleaned (including removal of library stamps!)
- The Military ABC Book post first appeared on the BibliOdyssey website.